There’s nothing better than a huge, huge Gundam box arriving at your door. Well, the Ex-S/S has arrived here at HLJ to mine and Todd’s delight.
(I know, I know — we’ve seen bigger, but it’s been a while.)
I decided I needed to give you guys an idea of just how big this box is, so I put the Yamato kit from a recent Gunpla TV episode right up against it.
We’re not kidding around.
Given the size of the box, it was hard to take the usual two shots of the outside, so we’re doing four this time.
Here we get the finished Ex-S version model from the front and back (painted for best presentability, of course).
Bandai also points out:
- The ejected state of the INCOMs on the head and legs can be retracted using the wires.
I think they look like yo-yos.
I’m so sorry I’ve cut off the left part of this photo..! I’m going to do my best to fill in the blanks. Here are the details from this section:
- Points of articulation have been implemented to make the Booster units bend at the middle to recreate… where the Booster units are expanding outward.
- Includes an abundance of armaments such as the Beam Smart Gun with a Disk radome, Head INCOM, and reflector INCOMs. The Beam Sabers can be recreated with clear parts.
- The torso of the MS or C parts (G-Core) has been recreated with a smooth silhouette. Intricate details have been added throughout the MS, such as the structure of the Movable Frame and nozzles.
- The main wings of the A/B Parts, the Disk radome, the Vulcan Guns in the head, the INCOMs, and other colors have been recreated with parts division.
- The articulation of the moveable frame throughout the body and the locking mechanisms allow for a stable transformation into the G-Cruiser.
- Left and right open hands with expressions perfect for holding the Beam Smart Gun are included.
- Original markings designed by Hajime Katoki for this plastic model are included.
Here’re the front and back views of the S Gundam as a finished model.
- The A Parts become the upper body of the S Gundam and can also transform into the A-Attacker. Similarly, the lower body can also transform into the G-Bomber.
- Thought has been put into the gimmicks and structure of the kit, such as the reduced head size, details added to the chest, and sliding gimmicks on the shoulders.
- A connected cockpit type and separate type of transforming G-Core are included. The opening and closing of the cockpit hatch and the three pilots have also been recreated.
- G-Bomber: A flight form consisting of the leg unit attached to the Beam Smart Gun.
- The Beam Smart Gun is connected to the support unit on the hip and its firing posture can be recreated. The grip on the support unit can unfold. They can also be replaced with Beam Cannons.
- The product can be chosen to be assembled as either the Ex-S Gundam or the S Gundam.
The last shot on the right here actually shows the completed kit, in both forms, unpainted — which really look nice!
Before we get to the runners, we want to show you just what’s in store when you pull the lid off the box:
That is a lot of parts. Are you ready for this?
In these unboxings I usually talk a little bit about what parts are on what runners. We’re going to skip that this time and just include basics so we can get through everything reasonably easily! There’s a whole lot to unpack here, so let’s get started.
Some of the following photos’ colors aren’t quite right — my camera wasn’t agreeing with the blue parts. If you see photos with a brownish background, don’t believe what you see. The runners in those photos are darker than they look in the photos!
A: White, yellow, and clear parts
B: White parts
C: White parts (x2)
D: White parts (x2)
E: Blue parts
F: Blue parts (x2)
G: Black parts
H: Black parts
I: Black parts (x2)
J2: Black parts
K: Black parts (x2)
L: Red, white, and black parts
M: White parts (x2)
N: Blue parts (x2)
P: Black parts
Q: Black parts (x2)
XA1: Blue, silver, yellow, and white parts
XA2: Red parts
XB: Black parts
XC1: Black parts
XC2: Black parts
XD: White parts
XE: Black parts
XF2: Blue parts (x2)
XG1, XG2: White parts
XH: Blue parts (x2)
XI1, XI2: Black parts
XJ1: Red parts
XJ2: Yellow parts
XK: Clear parts
SB1: Clear blue parts (beam saber)
And here are the parts for the stand. There’s a solid clear base, several clear parts on runners to build the arm, and a bunch of little screws. Get your screwdriver ready.
Finally, the miscellany. We have a huge sheet of basic stickers and a small sheet of foil stickers. There are two more packs of screws, and three tubes. This isn’t your ordinary Gunpla kit!
Are you blown away like me? I think this is the most complex kit I’ve seen since I started these unboxings!
You can look forward to Todd building this kit for a future episode of Gunpla TV, and in the meantime, pick up your own here!:
– 1/100 MG Ex-S Gundam/S Gundam