Over the years, we’ve had tons of great content from a lot of great people. In an effort to bring even more quality, useful content to our community here, we’re looking for do-it-yourselfers with the knowhow and availability to write regular tutorial articles for us. In exchange, you’ll be provided with accessories, tools, and/or kits for your tutorials, which you’ll get to keep for yourself!
While we’re mainly looking for folks who can write tutorials for any kind of model kit (plastic, resin, metal — you name it), we’re also interested in bringing on contributors who can offer their expertise in the areas of diorama building, Mini 4WD, doll customization, photography, and more!
Just to be clear, what we really want is how-to content, so we unfortunately aren’t accepting applications for out-of-box reviewers right now.
What we’re looking for
- Strong background in the subject matter you’re working with (scale models, figures, etc.)
- Great command of the English language; able to write easy-to-understand articles with correct grammar & industry terminology
- Links to a few examples of model builds, customizations, or other relevant articles of your own (bonus points for links to written tutorials you’ve already created)
- The ability to contribute between 2-4 articles per month to hobbylink.tv
The Fine Print
- We’re looking for anywhere between 1-3 contributors, depending on what kinds of applicants we get. We will do our best to contact everyone regarding their application, but please understand that we may not be able to provide details as to why any unsuccessful candidates were not selected.
- Successful candidates are expected to notify us upon the arrival of any packages we send. We also request that at least 1 article related to any given package is completed within 14 days of receipt of the package. Please reconsider applying if you don’t think you’ll be able to complete articles in a timely manner.
- All content written for hobbylink.tv must remain exclusive to hobbylink.tv. You can link to it, but we ask that content is not republished elsewhere.
- Depending on a variety of factors, we may choose to cease partnership with any contributor at any time. (But we will always let you know what’s going on before making any changes to any partnership!) You can also cease partnership with us at any time, too.
- Items that are eligible for tutorials will be limited depending on stock levels, price, and shipping eligibility. (Flammable products cannot be shipped overseas, for example.) Contributors are responsible for ensuring that their requested products are able to be imported into their country.
- All packages sent to international contributors are marked as Commercial Samples with the contents and full costs itemized. Unfortunately, we are not able to compensate for any import charges on these packages.
- We accept contributor applications from any country to which EMS packages can be shipped, as well as Japan. In order to ensure articles are completed in a timely manner, we cannot ship by non-express shipping methods. We also cannot ship by private courier. Please be sure your country accepts EMS packages when applying! (If you are in Japan, we will ship by your choice of Sagawa or Kuroneko Yamato.)
- Contributors will be responsible for pitching article ideas and requesting related products to bring those articles to life. In other words, we won’t tell you what items to use or what tutorials to make! As long as (4) allows, contributors should plan their own articles and materials accordingly.
- What we usually cannot supply: Items over 8,000 yen MSRP, fixed-pose figures, Transformers Masterpiece, food items, items which cannot be shipped internationally, or any item with any stock status other than “in stock”.
Got all that? Apply Here!