Following up from our first part of the Wonder Festival 2014 Summer coverage, here is our garage kit focused breakdown. The origin of WonFes actually stems from fans making cool stuff to sell to other fans. So browsing the two massive halls of home made masterpieces is like stumbling on a treasure trove of amazing things. What the photos also don’t show is also how friendly each of the stall owners are. As we spent a good amount of time discussing pretty obscure and long forgotten anime and games with a lot of them. For us, the garage kits side of things at WonFes is the real reason we go at all.
As there are two halls of stalls, what follows are only things that caught our eye (as there is always way too much cool stuff on show). In any case, here are our highlights again…
– There were a lot of Layzner kits this time and the one we especially liked was actually based on line-art penned by Katsuyuki Tamura (a famous mecha key animator in Japan) that was used in the recently released BluRay boxset for the series. As you’d expect it was suitably gorgeous.
– Seeing Viewpoint kits warmed our heart. Spent a lot of time chatting with the stall owners about classic shoot-em-ups.
– Some guys had decided to change their coffee machine into a World War II aircraft carrier, as you do, and pimp out their internal PC parts with all manner of crazy detailing.
– A super nice and surprisingly affordable Blue Dragon kit from Panzer Dragoon was just lovely to see.
– Lots of classic shoot-em-up ships were present, from R-Type to Galaxian. These were very nicely done too.
– Ships from the somewhat overlooked Infinite Space game were also present, with the original designs also penned by Junji Okubo.
– Deckard’s blaster from BladeRunner was also present, with multiple versions going for a variety of eye-watering prices.
Overall, we had a great time at this year’s Summer WonFes. It was a lot busier (and noisier) than usual, not to mention hot, but it calmed down in the afternoon and we managed to catch up with old friends and meet all manner of new ones. Enjoy the photos!
You need to login in order to like this post: click here