Home » The Rest » Gundam » The first RG, the RX-78-2! The Real Deal!

Gundam

The first RG, the RX-78-2! The Real Deal!

The long-awaited day has finally arrived!  Bandai’s much-anticipated first release in its all-new Gunpla line, REAL GRADE, is here and we wanted to bring you perhaps the first video look into this magnificent example of plastic model engineering.  This video serves as a preview of what you can expect from this model kit.  We would have liked to show some things in more detail however time constraints meant that we had to leave a few things out.  But that’s what text is for!

First off, this kit is amazing.  A 1/144 scale kit that will take you over two hours to build and possibly just as long to apply the markings.  The large number of pieces used in the assembly of this kit allow it to articulate really well and hold any number of positions.  The new frame is flexible enough that you can move the joints around without fear of breaking something, however, some sections will break if not handled correctly, such as the front knee joints.  Before applying the armor it is advisable to slowly work the frame joints back and forth loosening them up.  Bandai’s use of two different color whitish armor parts shows off the different sections of the kit and gives it the look of the real 1/1 Gundam!

But what did I find most impressive about this project?  The markings.  Normal marking stickers on an HG or MG are noticeable as adhesive stickers due to the outline, however, Bandai has managed for the most part to eliminate that altogether!  The marking stickers are thin cut and fit perfectly in the section to which they are applied. This is fantastic as it allows the builder to put the sticker in just the right spot by lining up the edges of the sticker instead of focusing on the marking. Despite their tiny size, I had no problem with the markings!

One thing of note for those tackling this kit; have a sharp hobby knife handy.  You will need it to clean the gate marks off the pieces near perfectly because if they aren’t removed many of the pieces will not assemble properly.

Now it’s your turn!

If your having problems viewing our videos you can check them out over at Youtube.com

Gundam model shown in this video : 1/144 Real Grade RX-78-2 Gundam

gunpla_realgrade

Want to win some free Gundam? Check out the link below!

Gundam Competition : Gunpla – Playing With Plastic

26 Comments

1. do i really need another rx78-2? no. do i need the first RG ever made and what will surely become a new standard in gunpla? yes!

2. Wow! didn’t know there was a flexible frame! YouTube reviews are letting the side down!

Love’n all the gunpla stuff on the site!

I want you’re job!!! j/k XD

3. Awesome job on the video. You looked like a kid on Christmas morning. That is one beautiful kit. Looks like this is going on my wish list.

4. Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for the video review!! MUST HAVE!!!

5. One of my personal concerns with regard to getting this kit is that I always prefer to paint and I’m very particular about seam lines. I know these kinds of issues don’t matter to everyone – but how is this kit with regard to gaps between all those separate parts? Got a feel for how suitable (or not) this kit would be for a build where gaps between parts simply aren’t tolerated?

6. Tisk tisk…look at the nubs!

7. Thanks for the comments everyone! To answer George’s question, there aren’t really any seam lines at all! The way Bandai has engineered this kit to have two different shades of whitish armor means that all the lines are supposed to be there. I usually paint my kits as well and when I get around to my personal RG I won’t be doing any seam line removal as I don’t think it’s necessary. I am looking forward to see what other modelers do with this fantastic kit!

8. Hey hey, I saw a little nub in the cockpit part, hihi, nah, just kidding, you were excited, so would us =D

9. The nubs were left alone through-out this build as it was a time crucial project. The nubs have now been cleaned up by Syd and the Real Grade now sits happily on his desk.

10. Well, the thing about seam lines is, yes, they’re at color boundaries but they shouldn’t always be surface features. In the case of this kit, probably the main thing I’d be concerned about are gaps. If the parts are too fiddly then simple handling could shift the plates around and gaps would appear. That’s very undesirable if you’re bringing the kit to a model competition. 🙂 And then if you want to glue parts to avoid that, there’s a danger of having to rescribe or smooth out the panel boundary to make it look right again (unless it’s just me and I’m doing it wrong! XD) But I don’t really know to what extent this would be a problem with this kit.
    Anyway, it’s probably a rather specialized concern, not necessarily what most people are interested in seeing on the new kit. I look forward to further coverage of the kit. It does look pretty cool! I especially love the return of the MG Gundam v1.0 feet. XD

11. One other note regarding gaps, if you trim off the gate marks very well with your hobby knife there shouldn’t be any gaps. It also depends on how your Gundam is posed. As part of its design, when it flexes its knee or elbow joints the armor actually separates slightly. On my hastily built example kit there is a slight gap on the lower leg, but on a kit this small you won’t notice the gaps unless you are looking for them. Love this kit!

12. Awesome, can’t wait till mine arrives at home. Pre-order the little bugger right away! F*ck yeah! 😀

13. Does the plastic have any sheen or is it a matt finish?

14. Interesting question, Jack. It’s a plastic model kit so it does have that plastic look to it, however, when comparing it to the 1/144 ZZ that stands beside it, it doesn’t seem to have the same kind of sheen. You’ll have to judge for yourself when you put yours together.

15. what is the name of the song playing during the video?

16. The new range of models RG, is huge. I already want to arm one of them.

17. Nice model and kit, but i like to paint as well and with it being small it’s harder to paint. Nice detail for such a small kit. I guess the RX-78 is the flagship of all models that are Gundam.
    Instead of Bandai making another 1:144 scale they should make different/more MG models. Like the Palace Athena, Kshatriya, Titans Hazel, Jagd Doga, Re-GZ, Jegan or the Hygog, now that would be sick! Those would be awesome MG models.
    Does anybody else agree that in the MG line, they seem to be coming out with not as many or as frequent? Wish they would make more MG’s.
    Great site keep up the good work!

18. there is 1 thing i cannot understand about these bandai model kits are… whey can’t they have these freaking instructions in english? it really sucks, when u found out that you build the kit wrong because you misinterpret some of the instructions in the manual.

19. @ jordan

I’m already grateful that the people of HLJ made it possible to send those Gundam kits to my country. (Holland) It’s the only way for me to get my hands on a Gundam kit because no one is selling them here. So now we have a RG in a 1/144 model, and still the manual is in Japanese language…. who cares!

20. Is the Advanced MS joint is tight and strong like die-cast frame model does?

21. Hi Raymond,

The Advanced MS Joint is not like a die-cast joint. What it is is the different parts of the frame constructed together during the molding process so that the joints bend right off the runner. You don’t need to construct the joints as Bandai has done it for you.

22. @JR, actually there are some store’s in Holland that carry Gundam gunpla, but be prepared to pay an arm or a leg for it. This one for example cost like 40 Euro.
    I’m more crazy in finding the right paint for it, i’m kinda biased towards using only mr. Color. That’s hard to get here, only shop I know where I can get it is at Almere.

Anyway my question is this: Syd did u paint your own one and if you did paint how did u do yours ? With brush or spray ? Can you also list the paint color numbers you used ?
    I find this 1/144 kinda hard to spray, or more to the point a hassle with all this small parts.

23. Cool. I made the right choice in reserving one of these for a friend as a Christmas gift. Somehow, attaching the decals would probably need a watchmaker’s magnifying glass to get things right.

24. I dont like to put the decals, because i like it clean like in the original Anime looks like. hehehe

25. I’m looking for the video cause I want to see syd’s reaction but it’s not on youtube.. Is there a possibility to still watch it??

• It looks like we don’t actually have video for this one. Sorry!